Sunday, May 22, 2016

The really persistent pansy



In a post last December, I praised The persistent pansy because the pansies in my front yard had survived not being planted (or watered) for a week before being planted, being munched down by deer* shortly after being planted, and then the onslaught of cold weather. The pansies appeared to die down into green nubs and were lost in the snow, so I forgot about them.

Then when the temperatures rose just a little, they began to reappear and bloom again. They have since survived and thrived in wild fluctuations in temperature, a big hailstorm, and a closeby cohort of eager deer.

I thought they would be gone by now, but here they are, bigger than ever. It probably helps that we've had only a few hot days this spring. The pansies seem to love all the rain we've had.

Finally I've found something positive to say about all this rain!

(As always, click on the small photo above to enlarge it!)

-------------------------------------------------------
* Afterwards I sprayed them with Deer Out, and have only sprayed them once this spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment